Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First NAIL ART post! Featuring screams from the past and marbles!

Well hello there you beautiful bunch! 2 posts in one day?? Aren't you lucky!

For my first official nail art post I decided to take a bit of a trip down memory lane by doing a “Then and Now” type of post with the very first proper nail art I ever tried. And by proper I mean PROPER! I've dabbled in stickers and rhinestones in my high school years but this was my first full on “balls to the wall” type of nail art. And I was quite proud of myself back then.

When I discovered nail art about a year ago, one of the first techniques I saw was dry marbling/needle marbling and I loved the look! It wasn't too hard to do and was way less messy than water marbling. So using this tutorial from Nail Nerd I jumped right at it and gave it beans!



Like I said, I was quite proud of the results back then but looking back at the photos now I can see a big improvement. On to the “Now”...



Not only is my clean up job better but the general state of my hands just looks healthier! It shows that a bit of moisturizing and good cuticle care actually pays off! Also, I have definitely improved on my ability to file my nails in a semi-decent shape! Not there 100% but I'm getting there.








Nail Polishes used:
  • Sinful Colors Snow me white
  • Tip Top Nail Chic Purple Reign
  • China Glaze Spontaneous

Tools Used:
  • Small tipped dotting tool
  • Plastic freezer bag
  • Tweezers

Unfortunately I have no idea what the exact polishes was that I used a year ago.




I started by laying down the 3 colours next to each other quite thick on a plastic freezer bag. Then with a small ended dotting tool I went in and made random swirls. The bigger the dotting tool end, the thicker your swirls will be. Once this was properly dry (I usually wait a day) I lifted it off the baggie with the tweezers and cut it down into smaller individual pieces so it was easier to place on the nails. On my nails I put on a base of Sinful Colors Snow me white. When this was dry I laid down a thin coat of topcoat, waited till it felt almost tacky and then laid down the marbled pieces on my nails as shown in this tutorial. I finished off the mani with Seche Vite, cleaned up my edges with a pointed q-tip, a small paint brush and some acetone and BOBS YOUR UNCLE!




Moral of the story: If you're a blogger and are feeling down in the dumps, look back at your work from a year or more ago and then look back at your current work. I guarantee you there will be a huge improvement and you will feel AMAZEBALLS!

I hope you enjoyed my first official nail art post with me and that you will stick around for the many more to come in the future!

Lots of mad love!



8 comments:

  1. Wow this is gorgeous!!!!! I absolutely love it! I absolutely do not understand how you can do THIS and not want to do watermarbling!!! Amazing!

    Also, excellant idea! I am thinking maybe I should also do a then and now feature once in a while! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha because...watermarbling is scary as hell! And this is easy to clean! I'm lazy! Lol But thank you! I'm really glad you like it!

      It's only a pleasure! Go for it! I think it's a great way to show yourself how much you've grown!

      Delete
  2. Sooo gorgeous! Welcome to the blogging world Thea !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! Heee, I'm super excited and scared to death to enter the blogging world but hey, I did it! That's a start! Lol

      Delete
  3. Awesome, love this.

    So happy you are finally blogging :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Tyler! Also happy i finally did it and looking forward to what the future holds! :D

      Delete
  4. Love this bokkie! The colours are perfection and so is application

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaawwe, Thank you V! That really means a lot to me! I'm really glad you like it!

      Delete